Data on Our Surgery Results
We have performed more than 1500 duodenal switch procedures. This number includes more than 1200 laparoscopic duodenal switch procedures, and more than 450 open duodenal switch procedures performed using a conventional midline incision. There are more than 70 conversions to duodenal switch in patients with failed older bariatric surgical procedures.
Our experience with the initial 1437 patients is shown below:
- There were 1139 women and 298 men with a mean age of 48.
- The mean body mass index was 49 (range 36-118 kg/m2).
- 41% of patients were superobese (BMI greater than 50 Kg/m2).
- The largest male weighed 845 pounds with a BMI of 108.5.
- The largest female weighed 625 pounds with a BMI of 118.
- The mean operating time: 188 minutes (range 105-330)
- The mean length of stay: 4 days (range 2-22 days, excluding one outlier).
- The median length of stay: 2-3 days
Resolved Medical Co-Morbidities
- 97% diabetes resolved
- 96% high cholesterol resolved
- 90% sleep apnea resolved
- 85% hypertension resolved
- 60% asthma resolved
- 47% arthritis resolved
Percent excess weight loss:
- Average excess weight loss at 3 months is 29%.
- Average excess weight loss at 6 months is 51%.
- Average excess weight loss at 24 months is 91%.
Complications in the initial patients:
- Conversion from Laparoscopic to Open DS: 9
- Late revisions due to inadequate or excessive weight loss: 72
To learn more about San Francisco/Oakland weight loss surgery, click here to request a consultation with Dr. John Rabkin. Or you can call Pacific Laparoscopy at 888-848-THIN (Toll-Free) or 415-668-3200 to schedule your appointment.